Remonter

Penryn

 

 

Saint Gluvias Register of burial
Le 29 août 1756, "Nastise Trahan, a neutral" soit Anastasie Landry #12556 épouse de Alexandre Trahan, née à Pisiguit en 1732. Descendante de René le cadet Landry et Marie Bernard de Port-Royal.

 

Falmouth (Église de Saint-Gluvias à Penryn près de Falmouth)

SAINT GLUVIAS - PENRYN  -  Register of Burials, 1755-1763 

1756

---- July 23 Francis Grangé (a French Neutral)
---- Aug. 21 Jean Terrian (a French Neutral)
---- Aug. 29 Nastise Trahan, a neutral [Anastasie Landry]
---- Aug. 30 Joseph Trahan, neutral
---- Aug. 31 Yellen(?) Grangé, neutral
---- Sept 1 Mary Trahan, neutral
---- Sept 1 Margaret Tescliau, neutra
---- Sept 3 Joseph Trahan, neutral
---- Sept 11 Yestiss Grangé, neutral
---- Sept 13 Alexander Trahan, neutral [Époux de Anastasie Landry]
---- Sept 16 Margaret Blanc, neutral

 

Références

- Les Cahiers de la Société historique acadienne - 33ième cahier, 1971 - Régis Sygefroy Brun, Le séjour des Acadiens en Angleterre et leurs traces dans les Archives Britaniques, 1756-1763
- Lucie LeBlanc Consentino - Acadian & French-Canadian Ancestral Home- Penryn, England. http://www.acadian-home.org/St-Gluvias-Penryn.html. Fait référence aux CSHA.

-Régis Sygefroy Brun. Le séjour des Acadiens en Angleterre et leurs traces dans les Archives Britaniques. La Société historique Acadienne, 33ième cahier, juil-sept 1971

-Les Acadiens prisonniers en Angleterre - Les cahiers de la Société historique acadienne - Marguerite Daligaut - CSHA, Vol. 4, No. 4, janvier février mars 1972, pages 160-162

 

 

 

 

 

Photo de Tim Green publié sur GoogleMap.

 

 

Documents du Cornwall Council

  RefNo Title Date Format Extent Description  
  AD1974 Acadian burials at St Gluvias 1756-c2000 Various formats 4 items List of French neutrals (Protestant) buried at Penryn, 1756-1763, and related papers.
AdminHistory
In 1605 Nova Scotia (as it later became known) was settled by French colonists, who called the colony Acadia. The colony was ceded to Britain in 1713. As the Acadians would not take an oath of allegiance to the British Crown, in 1755 the local British authorities decided that the people should be deported to the American colonies on the East coast. Following their unannounced arrival, the governor of Virginia decided to put the Acadians on merchant ships and send them on to England. There were four ships, which arrived at Portsmouth, Bristol, Liverpool and Falmouth respectively in June 1756. Those who landed at Falmouth were taken to Kergilliack farm at Budock and the Admiralty gave them a daily allowance, free basic rations and firewood. The people were known as French Neutrals because Britain and France had declared war on 18 May 1756. By December 1762, the Acadians were lodging in houses in Penryn and some of the younger people had been apprenticed to local tradesmen. With the end of the Seven Years War in February 1763, the Acadian people were given passage to France, but the French government's promises to them were not fulfilled and many Acadian families left for Louisiana in 1785.
 
  AD1974/1 List of burials of French Acadians in St Gluvias 1756-1759 Manuscript 1 piece List of French Acadians from Canada buried in St Gluvias churchyard between 1756 and 1759. The people were buried in unmarked graves. Most of the people probably died of smallpox, caught while they were in Virginia, America. The list of names was transcribed from the St Gluvias register of burials [document reference P72/1/3] by Myra Williams. Typed list, compiled 1998. It is unclear why these people were buried in St Gluvias churchyard when they were living in Budock parish. M Williams suggests that it may have been because St Gluvias had already been used for the burial of Spanish and French prisoners of war who had died while they were imprisoned at Roscrow, St Gluvias, during the War of Austrian Sucession, 1739-1748
  AD1974/2 Booklet, burials of French Acadians in St Gluvias 1756-1763 Printed material 1 piece Published list of burials, as in AD1974/1.  
  AD1974/3 History of Acadian people at St Gluvias 1756-1763 Manuscript 1 piece Describes the background to the French settlers in the province now known as Nova Scotia, their deportation to Britain in 1756 and departure for France in 1763. Compiled by Myra Williams, June 1998.  
  AD1974/4 Copy of memorial plaque to Acadians, St Gluvias Parish Church c1998 Manuscript 2 pieces Copy of memorial plaque commemorating the 73 Acadians buried at St Gluvias. The plaque was placed in St Gluvias Church by descendants of the French Acadian people. Also invitation to service of dedication and unveiling ceremony at Gluvias Parish Church on 22nd June [year not given].  

 

 

 

Penryn 25 mai 1763, 157 Acadiens conduits au port de Falmouth.

L'ordre correspond probablement à leur regroupement à l'arrivée en Angleterre en 1756.

Référence : Rieder, The Acadians in France, vol. 2, 1972, page 101-103

Marie Greengy 48
Marie Terriau 25
5. Magdaleine Terriau 23
Joseph Terriau 19
Gertrude Terriau 16
Jean Terriau 21
Isabelle Terriau 14
10. Claude Terriau 11
Francois Terriau 8
Francoise Strahan 8
 
50. Gregoire Terriau 19
Marguerite Josepha Terriau 41 [Landry]
Marie Terriau 22 [épouse Granger]
Marguerite Terriau 21
54. Madeleine Terriau 18
55. Blanche Terriau 17
Pierre Terriau 13
Baptiste Greengy 11
105. Jean Baptiste Terriau 23
Marguerite Terriau 28
Isabelle Terriau 27
Genevieve Terriau 21
Blanche Terriau 18
110. Isabelle Terriau 36
Felix Brange 17
Marie Terriau 13
Laurence Greengy 21
25. Amor Blanc 9
Francois Terriau 31
27. Paul Terriau 14
28. Isabelle Terriau 8
Sinon Blanc 38
Marie Greengy 8
Pierre Terriau 20
Marie Terriau 17
Marguerite Terriau 15
95. Isabelle Terriau 13
Honors Digue 39
Joseph Strahan 1½
Ann Marie Terriau 1
150• Jean Baptiste Digue 1

 

 

Le Fauvette - Navire de Falmouth à Morlaix, Acadiens de Penryn. Quitte Falmouth le: 26 mai 1763

Référence : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/froux/divers/fauvette.html

7
Honoré Daigre
Isabelle Daigre
Pierre Daigre
Jean Baptiste Daigre
Joseph Daigre
Marie Thériaut
Félix Boudrot [futur de Anne Gertrude Teriaut]
Marie Vincent
[Belle Ile 25, Belle Ile 56]

12
Jean Charles Daigre
Marie Josephe Daigre  [fille Marie Landry]
Charles Augustin Daigre
Mathurin Daigre

Belle Ile 28

21
Jean Tériaut [fils Marie Landry]
Marguerite Tériaut
Belle Ile 63

11
Simon Pierre Daigre
Marie Madeleine Daigre [fille Marie Landry]
Marie Marguerite Daigre
Anne Gertrude Geneviève Daigre
[Belle Ile 27, Beaumont 1]

20
Marie Joseph Tériaut [Marie Landry]
Anne Gertrude Tériaut
Marie Isabelle Tériaut
Claude Tériaut
Françoise Euphèmie Tériaut

25
Laurent Granger
Marie Granger  [Marie Terriot, fille de Marie Landry]

[Belle Ile 10]

 

Référence : Acadian & French Canadian Ancestral Home - Lucie LeBlanc Consentino. England to France - Falmouth http://www.acadian-home.org/france-la-fauvette.html.  - L'information provient du site de François Roux.

Référence : Rieder, The Acadians in France, vol. 2, 1972, page 104-109

 

 

 

Church of St Gluvias, Penryn
Information sur la bâtisse provenant du site British Listed Buildings. Voir ce site pour plus d'information.
Description: Church of St Gluvias
Grade: II*. Date Listed: 28 January 1949. English Heritage Building ID: 365724
OS Grid Reference: SW7873834662. OS Grid Coordinates: 178738, 34662. Latitude/Longitude: 50.1706, -5.0999
Location: Church Hill, Penryn, Cornwall TR10 8AJ
Locality: Penryn. Local Authority: Cornwall. County: Cornwall. Country: England. Postcode: TR10 8AJ
PENRYN.      SW7834NE CHURCH HILL, 580-1/4/42 (East side), 28/01/49 Church of St Gluvias

Parish church. C15 west tower, otherwise much rebuilt and remodelled in 1883 by Piers St Aubyn. Granite ashlar, coursed dressed granite and granite rubble with freestone dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. Tower is coursed local rubble with granite and freestone dressings. Plan: C15 west tower with NW stair turret, north wall, east ends of north and south aisles; otherwise 1883 navel chancel, south wall and later south porch plus vestry extensions flanking tower.

Perpendicular 3-stage embattled tower with angle buttresses and stair turret to NW corner; C15 pointed granite doorway with C19 planked door and strap hinges; C19 freestone 3-light traceried window over doorway and C15 two-light windows to upper stage of tower; strings dividing stages. North wall is 6 bays with buttresses dividing bays with C19 three-light traceried windows in C15 openings; C15 pointed arched moulded freestone doorway with square hoodmould with carved stops and quatrefoils to spandrels; many inscriptions and to other parts of north wall. Similar west window and taller 3-light projecting gabled windows to east ends of aisles flanking projecting chancel with large 3-light E window.

South wall has porch to far left with pointed doorway with quatrefoils to spandrels and 5 bays with windows similar to those of W wall; 2 buttresses and round-headed priests doorwaybetween right-hand windows. INTERIOR: C19 six-bay pointed-arched freestone arcades between nave and aisles, plastered or painted walls; C19 waggon roofs, the choir/chancel roof incorporating C15 carved ribs from former roof.

East wall of N aisle has 2 niches, each with arcade of 3 pointed arches and pair of round-arched niches (possibly a very early feature resited or evidence that this wall is part of a very early structure). Other early fragments include C15 piscina in porch and pointed-arched aumbry to east end of south aisle.

FITTINGS: C19 fittings include: octagonal freestone font, with quatrefoils, on granite base; octagonal oak pulpit on moulded freestone base; organ loft on 4 Tuscan columns to west end of S aisle; sedilia on 3 brackets to chancel; pitch pine pews with shaped ends, one pew with carved oak end inscribed: "Thischurch restored AD 1882-3, Michael Jenkin Lavin, Mayor"; floor of reset slate headstones; brass lectern with eagle; 1841 painted boards recording bequests and benefactions of Richard Ludgie 1722-1733 and 1735, John Verran 1758 and Thomas Lukey 1612.

MONUMENTS: many fine quality monuments including brass and slate to Thomas Killigrew 1484 with husband and wife, missing brass, probably sons, 6 daughters and shields. Large plaster and slate monument in 4 parts flanking and within jambs of east window of south aisle; east part as an aedicule framed by Ionic columns and surmounted by family crests, the 2 on right with original scrolled brackets with cherubs; left-hand panel to Samuel Pendarves of Roscrow d.1643, over extra panel to William, son of John and Bridget Pendarves; next panel to Grace, wife of Samuell Pendarves, d.1662 over later panel to Walter, son of John and Bridget, d.1663; next panel to William, also of Roscrow, d.1670 and last panel to Ann, his wife, d.1643.
South wall: plaster aedicule with broken pediment and marble shelf on bracket with lion's head flanking cherub to Samuel Ennys of Ennys (now Enys, St Gluvias CP) 1611-1697 and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Samuel Pendarves of Roscrow, 1618-1705; marble and slate obelisk to Thomas Enys of Enys, d.1802 aged 30.
North wall: slate aedicule with wigged bust and drapes between Corinthian columns to J Kempe, d.1711; marble cartouche with skull at bottom to John Collier Clerk d.1691 aged 3; and similar cartouche to William Worth d.1689 aged 55.

MEMORIAL FITTINGS: large French mosaic reredos depicting saints as memorial to Archbishop Philpotts.

MEMORIAL WINDOWS: E window of N aisle to Lilian Mary Plaice and Frederick Dennis Bruce, Vicar 1915-1927; E window of chancel to Louisa Philpotts d.1871; also E window of S aisle. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: 1951-1970: 177).

Listing NGR: SW7873834662. Source: English Heritage. Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006.
 

 

 

 

 

Acadiens en Angleterre
Information additionnelle sur la paroisse sur le site de Lucie Leblanc Consentino
In 1756 the Acadians originally deported to Virginia were not allowed to remain by that government. Acadians were once again deported this time to Bristol, Falmouth, Liverpool and Penryn in England. Burials records have been found for some of the Acadians who were buried at St. Gluvius, Penryn. Some baptisms and marriages were discovered in the parish of St. Mary in Liverpool as well as St. Mary in Wootten also in Liverpool. All of these Acadians were held as prisoners in warehouses along the docks until they were repatriated to France in 1763. Many died from small pox while in England.
L'information est reprise en partie sur le site de la Paroisse de St Gluvias.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Marcel Walter Landry - Pour toute question ou problème concernant ce site Web, envoyez moi un courriel.

Dernière modification : vendredi 04 janvier 2013